22329

This life has all kinds of tests.

A smaller test can break one.

And a bigger test can prepare one for an upcoming smaller test.

Having gone through a bigger test, one might not realize it when one is going through a smaller test.

Having gone through a bigger test, one might unintentionally invalidate other people’s experiences by disregarding their struggles.

Having gone through a bigger test, one might be ungrateful for “scaling” through a small hurdle. 

When I jumped down Moses Mabhida Stadium's(The Big Swing) in 2015, I was super scared of jumping but when I jumped, I didn’t feel any adrenaline rush. Weird right?

When I reflected on the fact that I didn’t feel any rush, I concluded it was because I had experienced a “bigger” rush in 2013. A 240km/h rush was a result of being on the fastest roller coaster in the world - Formula Rossa.

So, when someone who had been on The Big Swing talks about their adrenaline rush, I cannot relate.

  • Instead of disregarding their experience, I am learning to treat it like my bigger test. By doing so, I hope to be more compassionate.
  • Instead of thinking of the small test as nothing, I am learning to practice gratitude.
  • Instead of sharing my unsolicited similar experience, I am learning to actively listen and ask relevant questions about their own experience.

Till next time, you might want to practice active listening, compassion, and gratitude.



PS: In case you are wondering what 22329 means it was my jump number.

 


Comments

  1. This has to be one of my best reads ever... it speaks volume and directly... teaches listening , compassion ,arrogance, getting perspective, understanding etc...

    This is really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Listen more, talk less . You are on point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insightful! We often trivialize other people’s experiences and this is a big barrier for many people who refuse to share and speak up because they fear they would not be taken seriously. Very important points there! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so powerful. We often invalidate people’s experiences because we make it all about us. Great read and thanks for the reminder. P.S. I still have that Big Swing certificate on my fridge ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BILQEES

This journey!

A bold step?