The amateur photographer

I have called myself an amateur photographer for a long time. If my memory serves me right, I have been calling myself that for 6 years. I am thinking of changing it to DSLR owner – it sounds funky right – I know 😊.

Somedays ago, I stumbled on my first camera. I got it towards the end of Senior Secondary School.  I think a day student helped me to buy it, I do remember my childhood friend Rafiat playing a big role in getting it. It is an analog camera; I took a couple of secondary school graduation pictures with it. I still wonder why I did not include the camera in the list of things I own.  I guess it is time to update my asset register. Well, the first thing I must do is to download it from my brain and keep a soft or hard copy that is accessible to relevant people.

My "second" camera was not mine really, it belonged to my Dad, but I used it most of the time till it spoilt.  Well, it did not get spoilt on my watch. My Dad did not want to fix it in Nairobi (the Capital of Kenya oh!, not the character from the Netflix series) because he got it on one of his business travels, so he thought it was best to take it back there on his next trip to the country of purchase. Guess what? They could not fix it, so he got another one. Thinking about it now, the unfixed camera must have been the reason I did not buy the brand when I got my official second camera.

I love pictures, I love to take and be taken, I used to have over a thousand pictures (uploaded by me) on Facebook. When I started earning, it was only natural to include a camera in my must-have list. I think it was the first or second item I purchased when I visited my cousin in the US. I was super excited to own a professional camera. Back then, I was blogging consistently so I thought I should start another blog (for photography) – I must have named it “through my lens or something related” but when I started taking pictures with it, I could not bring myself to post most of them. I realized I enjoyed going through them on my camera. I ended up closing the blog.  I had photography plans, I really did  – I planned to sign up for Shola Animashaun’s class while a colleague who was giving me professional photography tips advised that I should get a different lens – I was going to buy myself the lens after passing a level in the professional exam I was doing – Well, guess Consequence Management: does not bring out the best in me. 

As some of you may know, I am #TeamWindowseat and when it is safe to do so, I love to take “up in the air” photographs. I have this strong feeling that one day, I might put them up or have a photography showcase within the limits of Islam. Yes, there are some rulings on photography in Islam.


Till next time, think about the story behind that tucked away the item you stumbled on recently. To keep or to trash? You decide.


Edited by Opeyemi Eniola Dada & Dolapo Ajayi

 

PS: One of my editors asked what DSLR is – I told her to Google it 😊.

DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex. DSLR camera is a type of digital camera. According to photographylife.com, a DSLR is a digital camera that uses a mirror mechanism to either reflect light from a camera lens to an optical viewfinder (which is an eyepiece on the back of the camera that one looks through to see what they are taking a picture of) or let light fully pass onto the image sensor (which captures the image) by moving the mirror out of the way

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BILQEES

This journey!

A bold step?